Wei-Chen Hung, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Chair
Problem solving, HCI, Performance support system
Ph.D., Instructional Systems Technology with Minor in Information Science, Indiana University-Bloomington.
- ETT429 Computers in Classroom Teaching
- ETT501 Proseminar in Instructional Technology
- ETT510 Instructional Media and Technology
- ETT529 Theories of Computer-Based Education
- ETT530 Software Tools for Instructional Technologists
- ETT536 Web Based Learning
- ETT538 Developing Educational Software
- ETT539 Courseware Systems Development
- ETT555 Media Design: Multimedia
- ETT742 Seminar in Instructional Technology Research
- ETR531 Program Evaluation
Recent Papers (2007 and onward)
- Luo, W., Pelletier, J., Duffin, K., Ormand, C., Hung, W.-C., Shernoff, S., Zhai, X., Iverson, E., Whalley, K., & Gallaher, C. (In press) Advantages of computer simulation in enhancing students’ learning about landform evolution: A case study using the Grand Canyon. To appear in Journal of Geoscience Education
- Hung, W-C., Smith, T. J., & Smith, M., C. (2015). Design and usability assessment of a dialogue-based cognitive tutoring system to model expert problem solving in research design. British Journal of Educational Technology. 46(1), 82-97. DOI: 10.1111/bjet.12125.
- Paver, J., Walker, D. & Hung, W.-C. (2014) Adjunct faculty characteristics that may predict intention to integrate technology into instruction. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. 38(10), 859-872. doi: 10.1080/10668926.2013.819790
- Paver, J., Walker, D. & Hung, W.-C. (2014) Factors that predict the integration of technology for instruction by community college adjunct faculty. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. 38(1), 68-85. doi: 10.1080/10668926.2013.799449
- Hung, W.-C., Kalota, F. (2013). Design and validation of MAPS for educators: A performance support system to guide media selection for lesson design. Performance Improvement Quarterly. 26(1), 81-99. doi: 10.1002/piq.21136.
- Kalota, F., & Hung, W-C. (2013). Formative evaluation of the instructional effects on a performance support system designed to guide pre-service teachers in developing technology integration strategies. British Journal of Educational Technology. 44(3), 442-452. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2012.01318.x
- Hung, W-C., & Jeng, I-F., (2013). Factors influencing future educational technologists' intentions to participate in online teaching. British Journal of Educational Technology.44(2), 255-272. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2012.01294.x
- Hung, W-C., & Lockard, J. (2012). Integrating metacognitive prompts and critical inquiry process display to scaffold learners’ development of problem solving skills. In S. B. Fee, & B, R. Belland (Eds.). The role of criticism in understanding problem solving: Essays in memory of John C. Belland. (pp. 115-140). New York: Springer.
- Oldenburg, N. & Hung, W-C., (2010). Problem-solving-strategies used by RN-BS students in an online PBL course. Journal of Nursing Education.49(4): 219-22.
- Hung, W-C., Smith, T. J., Harris, M. S. & Lockard, J. (2010). Development research of a teachers’ educational performance support system: The practices of design, development, and evaluation. Educational Technology Research and Development (ETR&D), 58(1), 61-80.
- Chasnoff, J. I., & Hung, W-C. (2010). [Computer Software] Cause and Consequence – An interactive behavior management system. Chicago: NTI publishing. ISBN 97809845053124
- Omale, N., Hung, W-C., Luetkehans, L., & Cooke-Plagwitz, J. (2009). Learning in 3-D Multi-User Virtual Environments: Exploring the use of unique 3-D attributes for problem based learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(3), 480-495.
- Millis, K., Baker, S., Blackemore, J., Connington, F., Harper, Y., Hung, W-C., Kohn, A. & Stowell (2009). Teaching and learning in a digital world. In D. F. Halpern. (Ed.), Undergraduate education in psychology: A blueprint for the future of the discipline. Washington, DC: APA. (authorship by alphabetical order except for the first author)
- Kitts, K., Luo, W. & Hung, W-C. (2008). Did it ever rain on Mars? A professional development opportunity for teachers and an actual NASA research opportunity for middle and high school students. The Earth Scientist, 27(2), 17-20.
- Hung, W-C. & Lockard, J. (2007). The design and impact of using an advance organizer guided behavior matrix to support teachers’ problem solving in classroom behavior management. Journal of Special Education Technology. 22(1). 23 – 39.
- Hung, W-C. & Chao, C-A. (2007). Integrating advance organizers and multidimensional information display in electronic performance support systems. Innovations in Education and TeachingInternational. 44. 181 – 198.
National/State Grant Research Support (2007 and onward)
- Web-based Interactive Landform Simulation Model (WILSIM). National Science Foundation, TUES Phase 1. $236,041, 2013-16, Role: Senior Faculty Expert, Grant# TUES-1140375.
- Information security awareness. Elgin Community College. $10,000, 2011–12. Role: Principal Investigator, Grant# G3B67469.
- Development of an intelligent tutoring system for training social and behavioral sciences students in research methods fundamentals. National Science Foundation, CCLI Phase 1. $150,000, 2008-12, Role: Co-Principal Investigator, Grant# DUE-0737068.
- MARS Valley Networks Project: Martian Valley Networks Analysis: Run-off or Sapping? NASA Office of Space Science/Education Outreach. $20,000, 2005-07, Role: Faculty Expert, Grant# NNG04GJ71G.
- Specialized Computer and Other Technology and Providing Improved Services for Blind and Visually Impaired Children from Multicultural/Multilingual Communities. Illinois Department of Education. $75,000, 2005-07, Role: Faculty Expert, Grant# 44-G3B67314.
Gabel Hall 208
Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
Gabel Hall 208
DeKalb, IL 60115